Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Courses > Undergraduate > Courses & Modules

Module MAU23202: Analysis in Several Real Variables

Credit weighting (ECTS)
5 credits
Semester/term taught
Michaelmas term 2019-20
Contact Hours
11 weeks, 3 lectures including tutorials per week
Prof. David Wilkins
Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
  • justify with logical argument basic results concerning convergent sequences in Euclidean spaces and of vector-valued functions defined on subsets of Euclidean Spaces.
  • discuss in substantial detail situations where standard properties of partial derivatives of first and second order satisfied by smooth functions fail to extend to situations where the partial derivatives of first or second order fail to satisfy appropriate continuity conditions;
  • exploit the Inverse Function Theorem and related results to identify and justify the basic properties of smooth submanifolds of Euclidean spaces.
Module Content
  • Review of real analysis in one real variable: the real number system; the least upper bound axiom; convergence of monotonic sequences; the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem in one variable; the Extreme Value Theorem; differentiation; Rolle's Theorem; the Mean Value Theorem; Taylor's Theorem; the Riemann integral.
  • Analysis in several real variables: convergence of sequences of points in Euclidean spaces; continuity of vector-valued functions of several real variables; the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem for sequences of points in Euclidean spaces; the Extreme Value Theorem for functions of several real variables.
  • Differentiablity for Functions of Several Variables: partial and total derivatives; the Chain Rule for functions of several real variables; properties of second order partial derivatives; the Inverse Function Theorem; the Implicit Function Theorem; curvilinear coordinate systems.
Module Prerequisite
MAU11100, MAU11201, MAU11202
Recommended Reading
  • Principles of Real Analysis, W. Rudin. McGraw-Hill, 1976;
Assessment Detail
This module will be examined in a 2-hour examination in Trinity term. Continuous assessment will contribute 10% to the final grade for the module at the annual examination session, with the examination counting for the remaining 90%. The supplemental examination paper, if required, will determine 100% of the supplemental module mark. Supplementals if required will consist of 100% exam.