Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Courses > Postgraduate > MSc and PhD by research > Practical information

Practical information


If you are a citizen of the European Union, you do not need a visa to enter and live in Ireland. Students from North America may enter the country without an entry visa. However, they must apply for a visa to the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) in Dublin, within 7 days of arrival in the country. Further information and up to date information on visa costs and requirements can be obtained on-line from All non-American non-EU students should contact the nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate for information on visa requirements before arrival and must report to the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) on arrival. All applicants should apply as early as possible, especially if an Irish Visa is required.

Registration and Orientation

Research students may register either in September or in March. Registration information for new entrants and continuing students is available online and all students must register online annually.

During registration week a number of formal and informal events are held to introduce newly enrolled students to life in College; these include an orientation session for the current academic year, specifically tailored for postgraduate students. Up to date information on all orientation activities is available here.


A limited number of students may be accommodated on campus. However, the modern and comfortable Trinity Hall of Residence owned by the University offers extensive accommodation opportunities. It is situated in its own grounds about 4km (2.5miles) from Trinity and is linked to the city centre by bus and a fast tram line. Further information on accommodation and the on-line application facility can be found here.

Many postgraduate students find accommodation in shared houses or apartments. The best places to look for a place to rent are the web pages and Advertisements also appear on many notice boards around College, especially in Front Arch and the Accommodations office.

Student Health

The College Health Service is located in modern, purpose-built premises on Trinity campus, in House 47. Student consultations are free of charge with modest fees for additional services. Hospital treatment is supplied to EU students who are automatically entitled to a General Medical Services Card on condition that they are in possession of a European Health Card or UK NHS Card from their home Government Health Service. These must be obtained in the home country before departure.

Non-EU students are not normally entitled to national health services in Ireland and are advised to take out insurance cover for hospitalization before leaving their home country. Private health insurance cover is also available in Ireland and the student health service can advise you on your options.

Further Information

For further information, see the Student Information page on the International Student Affairs web-site.