Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Courses > Undergraduate > Courses & Modules

Module MA1263: Introduction to numerical analysis

Credit weighting (ECTS)
5 credits
Semester/term taught
Michaelmas term 2014-15
Contact Hours
11 weeks, 3 lectures including tutorials per week. Lecture notes will be published on the following link
Prof. Colm Ó Dúnlaing
Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of this module students will have;
  • Familiarity with numerical methods for finding roots of polynomials, solving linear equations, and solving some differential equations.
  • Knowledge of the IEEE standard and some knowledge of its impementation
  • Ability to estimate the accuracy of some numerical methods
Module Content
  • Euclid's gcd algorithm, Sturm Sequences, Newton-Raphson.
  • Format of single and double-precision floating point numbers and hexadecimal notation.
  • The IEEE 754 standard and its implementation.
  • Accuracy of summation.
  • Gaussian elimination, LU factorisation: accuracy of same.
  • ODEs: Euler, Runge-Kutta.
  • Condition numbers (time permitting)
Module Prerequisite
Assessment Detail
This module will be examined in a 2 hour exam in Trinity term. 20% of the final mark will be based on coursework (quizzes) and the other 80% on the exam. There will, most likely, be five quizzes.