Module MA1263: Introduction to numerical analysis
- Credit weighting (ECTS)
- Semester/term taught
Michaelmas term 2014-15
- Contact Hours
11 weeks, 3 lectures including tutorials per week. Lecture notes will be published on the following link http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~odunlain/
Prof. Colm Ó Dúnlaing
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this module students will have;
- Familiarity with numerical methods for finding roots of polynomials, solving linear equations, and solving some differential equations.
- Knowledge of the IEEE standard and some knowledge of its impementation
- Ability to estimate the accuracy of some numerical methods
- Module Content
- Euclid's gcd algorithm, Sturm Sequences, Newton-Raphson.
- Format of single and double-precision floating point numbers and hexadecimal notation.
- The IEEE 754 standard and its implementation.
- Accuracy of summation.
- Gaussian elimination, LU factorisation: accuracy of same.
- ODEs: Euler, Runge-Kutta.
- Condition numbers (time permitting)
- Module Prerequisite
- Assessment Detail
- This module will be examined in a 2 hour exam in Trinity term. 20% of the final mark will be based on coursework (quizzes) and the other 80% on the exam. There will, most likely, be five quizzes.