Module MA4491: Research assignment
- Credit weighting (ECTS)
- 5 credits
- Semester/term taught
- Michaelmas term 2013-14
- Contact Hours
- Academic year long module (2 terms), meetings with supervisor by arrangement. Significant independent work is required.
- Prof. Paschalis Karageorgis
- Learning Outcomes
- This section is A PRELIMINARY DRAFT. On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- demonstrate competence in independent study at a high mathematical level, at the forefront of knowledge in a specifically chosen topic
- demonstrate skills in scientific writing
- demonstrate oral presentation skills
- synthesise and apply materials used.
- Module Content
Assignments should be comparable as regards the amount of work required to a 5 credit module. The work can be done over the academic year or in one term, but should include a written account or a report to be handed in 3 weeks before the end of Hilary term. Beore the end of Hilary term a viva-voce presentation will be scheduled.
These assignments are intended to be less extensive than a 10 credit project (module MA4492) and this would normally be reflected in a more tightly defined plan for what is to be done. That would normally imply a restricted amount of background reading, and cases where there is an element of original work (such as a computer programme, or an analysis of data, or a calculation), the depth of the work expected and the student time anticipated for its completion be commensurate with the 5 credit weighting.
The grading system will be a modification of that used for module MA4492.
- Module Prerequisite
- Students must find a member of staff in College willing to supervise their work and must agree the arrangements with the coordinator as outlined in the rules below. Please consult the coordinator for suggestions about suitable topics and supervisors.
- Assessment Detail
- This module will be 100% continuous assessment: a written thesis and a viva presentation.