Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

Sitemap

Theoretical Physics Moderatorship 2012-13

Junior Sophister Year (Mathematics Modules)

Note that these details are as at the end of the academic year 2011-12.

Michaelmas term

Students take all of the above modules. (This makes a total of 15 credits. Unless indicated course modules are 5 ECTS credits.)

Hilary term

Students take all of the above modules. (This makes a total of 15 credits. Unless indicated course modules are 5 ECTS credits.)

Junior Sophister Year (Physics Modules)

Michaelmas term

  • PY3P03 Condensed Matter I
  • PY3A03 Stellar & Galactic Structure
  • PY3C01 Computer Simulation I

Students take PY3P01 and either PY3A01 or PY3C01.

Hilary term

  • PY3P04 Condesed Matter II
  • PY3P05 Atomic & Nuclear Physics

Students take PY3P04 and PY3P05.

Year long Physics modules

PY3TP1 Practical in Theoretical Physics [10 credits]

Students also take PY3TP1, making a total of 30 credits of Physics modules.

For the details of Physics modules see here.

Theoretical Physics Moderatorship Regulations for the Junior Sophister Year

The regulations that apply to the Moderatorship Course in Theoretical Physics are set out in the The University of Dublin Calendar (School of Mathematics).

  • Students take modules to the value of 60 credits (30 in each term).
  • Students must register for modules to the value of exactly 60 credits (with the Administrative office of the School of Mathematics) and check that their modules are correctly recorded at the student portal by the deadline (date to be advised but likely to be in January).
  • Students will be assessed on their registered modules according to the rules below.
  • Papers are set on a majority of modules at the annual examination (held in April/May). The mark for these modules may also incorporate credit for assessed work throughout the academic year as prescribed by the lecturers concerned. (For further information on assessment, consult the individual module descriptions.)
  • Results for examinations are published according to the following grades: I = 70 to 100, II.1 = 60 to 69, II.2 = 50 to 59, III = 40 to 49, F.1 = 30 to 39, F.2 = 0 to 29.
  • In order to pass an individual module, students must attain a mark of at least 40%.
  • In order to pass the annual examinations (and qualify to proceed to the Senior Sophister year) students must obtain a credit weighted average of at least 45% AND either
    • also pass in each module,
      OR
    • pass by compensation, which means to also pass modules totalling at least 40 credits AND have at least 30% in the remaining module(s),
      OR
    • pass by aggregation, which means to also pass modules totalling at least 40 credits AND have at least 30% in modules totalling at least 50 credits.
  • There are no supplemental examinations in the Sophister years.
  • The examinations of both the Sophister years will count towards the overall mark for moderatorship, with the Junior Sophister year accounting for 35% of the moderatorship mark, and the remaining 65% weight for the modules taken in the Senior Sophister year.
  • Students who do not attend regularly, who are absent from tests and examinations without good cause may be returned to the Senior Lecturer's office as non-satisfactory for the relevant term. Non-satisfactory students may be refused permission to take their annual examination and may be required to repeat their year by the Senior Lecturer.
  • Students who are not eligible to proceed to the Senior Sophister year following the annual examinations are subject to regulations on repetition of year stated in The University of Dublin Calendar (Part II).

(These regulations apply from the academic year 2012-13.)

Sources of Information

The University of Dublin Calendar

All courses within Trinity College are administered in accordance with the regulations set out in the The University of Dublin Calendar which is published annually. The section of the Calendar setting out the general regulations of the College is published separately in the booklet General Regulations and Information and Board Statement on Safety which is distributed to all students on admission to College.

In particular, the following information can be found in the online version of the University Calendar:

Important information.


Please note that The University of Dublin Calendar should be consulted for definitive information about the rules, regulations, and activities of the University.

EU Flag HEA Logo Structure funds Logo Education
Logo
This course is funded by the Irish government under the National Development Plan 2007-2013 and aided by the European Social Fund (ESF) under the Human Capital Investment Operational Programme 2007-2013.