Module MA346F: Practical numerical simulations
- Credit weighting (ECTS)
- Semester/term taught
Hilary term 2012-13
- Contact Hours
11 weeks, 3 lectures including tutorials per week
Prof. Nicolas Garron
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- Solving physical problems on a computer;
- Finding an appropriate model and numerical scheme;
- Implement an appropriate solution;
- Understand the computer output and control the numerical errors.
- Module Content
- Introduction to C++ (using linux environment) and object oriented programming;
- Solving ordinary differential equations using Euler or Runge Kutta schemes;
- Shooting method;
- Introduction to symplectic integration schemes;
- Partial differential equations;
- Introduction toMonte Carlo methods;.
- Module Prerequisite
- Assessment Detail
This module will be examined in a 2 hour examination in Trinity term.
will contribute 30% to the final grade for the module at the annual