Module MA1132: Advanced Calculus
- Credit weighting (ECTS)
- 5 credits
- Semester/term taught
- Hilary term 2012-13
- Contact Hours
- 11 weeks, 2 lectures and 1 tutorial per week
- Prof. Petronela Radu
- Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- apply the basic theory of convergence of sequences and series to a range of examples;
- calculate partial derivatives involving algebraic and transcendental functions (including trigonometric functions, exponential, logarithm, hyperbolic functions and inverses);
- apply the standard results and concepts concerning differentiation in a number of appropriate contexts (such as graphical or geometric interpretations of tangents, critical points, linear approximation, solving simple linear differential equations);
- compute double and triple integrals by application of Fubini's theorem or use change of variables;
- use integrals to find quantities defined via integration in a number of context (such as average, area, volume, mass).
- Module Content
These details may be varied somewhat in the current year.
Sequences (definition and basic results on convergence). Series (definition of the sum, series of positive terms, absolute convergence, tests for convergence). Power series and (use of) Taylor's theorem.
Differentiation of curves, tangent lines in 2 or 3 dimensions. Graphical represenation of functions of 2 or 3 variables. Partial derivatives, gradients, directional derivatives, tangent planes to graphs and level surfaces. Linear approximation for functions of 2 or 3 variables, chain rule.
Linear and exact differential equations.
Double and triple integrals, computation via iterated integrals (Fubini theorem). Double integrals in polar coordinates.
Refer to http://www.maths .tcd.ie/~richardt/MA1132 for information relating to the module as given in 2011-12.
- Module Prerequisite
- MA1123 (Analysis on the real line I), MA1111 (Linear Algebra I)
- Assessment Detail
- Regular aassignments and tutorial work. In class exams twice in the term (at dates to be advised). No annual examination. For those requiring a supplemental examination, this module will be examined in a 2 hour examination in August/September (with no contribution from continuous assessment.