W. F. C. (Michael) Purser
I am an honorary lecturer in mathematics at TCD. For a number of years I have been lecturing to Sophister students of Mathematics, in alternate year on error correcting codes and on cryptology.
Error Correctiong Codes (2012)
A five-week course on Error-Correcting Codes is scheduled for spring semester 2012.
- Week 1. Block Codes, Distance, Errors and Probabilities of Detection and Correction (and in Word format).
- Week 2. Hamming Codes, Perfect Codes (and in Word format).
- Week 3. Cyclic Codes, Generating Polynomial, Systematic Codes (and in Word format).
- Week 4. RS Codes (and in Word format).
- Week 5. Trellis Code Modulation (to be supplied)
The following notes for the course on cryptology were assembled, corrected, retyped and generally beaten into shape by Christina Ruddle. I am extremely grateful to her. All mistakes are mine not hers.
These notes pertain to a course I last delivered in 2008-09 and which I expect to offer again in 2010-11. The previous module code was 374.