School of Mathematics School of Mathematics
Course 262 (2E3) - Computer Science 2 2006-07 (SF Mathematics )
Lecturer: Dr. Steven Collins

Requirements/prerequisites: 161

Duration: 24 weeks

Number of lectures per week: 2 lectures, 1 tutorial and 1 laboratory

Assessment: 40% for continuous assessment of several kinds.

End-of-year Examination: 3-hour exam in May/June.


The course covers advanced topics in C++ programming, approaches to program design, basic static and dynamic data structures, searching, sorting, and introduces some standard algorithms. The module provides a thorough grounding in the principles of object-oriented design principles, introducing concepts including abstraction, inheritance, polymorphism and encapsulation. There are 2 lectures, 1 tutorial and 1 laboratory per week. During the year there are 2 major projects giving an opportunity to put into practice the design skills studied. In addition, students are given the opportunity to make presentations to their peers on a variety of topics relating to the impact of computers and software engineering on society. To complement this outside speakers are invited from research groups and from industry to provide additional context and insight to the students. The course has an emphasis on continuous assessment which counts for 40% of the final mark, with the remaining 60% determined by the end of year exam. The coursework mark is composed of marks awarded for tutorials (7 or 8 tutorials during the year are collected and examined) and for the projects (typically a first smaller project due in the first term followed by a larger project due in the final term).

In some detail, the contents are as follows:


  1. Savitch, W., Problem Solving With C++: The Object Of Programming, Sixth Edition, published by Addison Wesley, ISBN 0-321-44263-6. TCD Library Reference: 500.16424 N93*4;1-9 (5th Edition)

  2. Malik, D.S., C++ Programming: Program Design Including Data Structures, Third Edition, published by Thompson, ISBN 978-1-4188-3640-5. TCD Library Reference S-LEN 500.16424 P69;1-11

Sep 25, 2006

File translated from TEX by TTH, version 2.70.
On 25 Sep 2006, 13:17.