School of Mathematics School of Mathematics
Course 1S3 - Mathematics for Science students 2002-03 (JF Mathematics as a whole subject within the Natural Science Moderatorships. JF Human Genetics. JF Computational Physics and Chemistry. JF Medicinal Chemistry. JF Physics & Chemistry of Advanced Materials. )
Lecturer: Dr. Samik Sen, Dr. R. M. Timoney
Requirements/prerequisites: None

Number of lectures per week: 2 lectures per week in Michaelmas Term, 2.5 in Hilary and Trinity Terms, plus a tutorial every third week.
Assessment: Practical work, assignments, tutorial work and 061 assignment results will count for 20% of the marks, with the paper counting for the remaining 80%

End-of-year Examination: Three hour exam. Result is combined with results of 1S1 and 1S2/4.


There is a web page for this part of the course, which is upmydated during the year. The address is See also Dr. Sen's pages at

Essential Reference

  1. Howard Anton, Irl Bivens & Stephen Davis, Calculus, 7th Edition, Wiley (2001)
    Howard Anton, Calculus: a new horizon (6th edition), Wiley, 1998.

Recommended references

  1. Erwin Kreyszig, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, (8th edition) Wiley, 1999.
  2. S. Wolfram, Mathematica book, Addison-Wesley (4th edition) 1999, published by Wolfram Media and Cambridge University Press.

Jan 24, 2003

File translated from TEX by TTH, version 2.70.
On 24 Jan 2003, 15:20.