Autorip and autotag are a pair of shell-scripts which automate the ripping
and encoding of CDs to MP3. They were written with the idea of disconnected
operation in mind:
- CDs can be ripped to WAV files at anytime,
- CDs are identified from FreeDB
the next time the machine is connected to the net,
- WAV files are tagged and encoded to MP3 at a later time.
Most of the work is done by programs called by these scripts; if they are
not already installed on the host system, they must be downloaded and
Autorip was written by Stephen Crane
and extensively modified by Hunter Kelly.
This software is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL. See
the file LICENSE in the distribution or the
for terms and conditions.
Download and Installation
- Download the latest tar-file
- Unpack it anywhere and move autorip.sh and autotag.sh to /usr/local/bin
- Edit riprc for your site and move it to /usr/local/etc
- Create the directories specified in the file riprc; these can be
anything, but a good place is /var/mp3/Untagged, /var/mp3/Unknown,
Last modified: Tue Nov 20 19:31:51 GMT 2001 email@example.com