MA2223 Metric spaces
Lecturer: Derek Kitson
Course outline: link
- ch1.pdf Metric spaces (including open and closed sets, continuous maps and complete metric spaces)
- ch2.pdf Normed vector spaces (including operator norms and norms on finite dimensional vector spaces)
- ch3.pdf Topological properties of metric spaces (including Hausdorff, connected and compact spaces)
For students taking the supplemental exam, the May exam can be found here.
Assignments will be worth 10% of the final mark.
- Assignment 1 ha1.pdf Date due: Friday 14th October
- Assignment 2 ha2.pdf Date due: Friday 28th October
- Assignment 3 ha3.pdf Date due: Friday 18th November
- Assignment 4 ha4.pdf Date due: Wednesday 7th December (Note: No lecture on Friday 2nd December due to College Open Day).
- Assignment 5 ha5.pdf Date due: Friday 16th December
- Solutions to assignment 1 soln1.pdf
- Solutions to assignment 2 soln2.pdf
- Solutions to assignment 3 soln3.pdf
- Solutions to assignment 4 soln4.pdf
- Solutions to assignment 5 soln5.pdf
- Solutions to problem sheet 1 soln1.pdf
- Solutions to problem sheet 2 soln2.pdf
- Solutions to problem sheet 3 soln3.pdf
- Solutions to problem sheet 4 soln4.pdf
Student Counselling Service:
The website of the Student Counselling Service provides information on the support options available to you if you are experiencing either personal or academic/study concerns. These services are free and confidential.
- Introduction to metric and topological spaces, W.A. Sutherland. Oxford University Press, 1975. Hamilton, S-LEN 514.3 L51 (10 copies), Open Access 514.3 L51 (2 copies), Santry Stacks SPL-37-624
- Metric spaces, E.T. Copson. Cambridge University Press, 1968. Hamilton, Open Access 514.3 K8
- Set theory and metric spaces, I. Kaplansky. Boston, 1972. Hamilton, Open Access 511.3 L23
- Introduction to the analysis of metric spaces, J.R. Giles. Cambridge University Press, 1987. Hamilton, Open Access 515.73 M7
- Metric spaces, M. O Searcoid. Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series, 2007. Hamilton, Open Access 514.3 P7
Questions and comments to email@example.com
Back to the School of Maths home page.